Green Zucchini Bread
We'd never suggest sneaking veggies into food to fool your kids, and yet, if they like this bread - which is very similar to carrot cake - it might make them realize that zucchini is actually very tasty!
From the Best Bake Sale Cookbook, pg. 115
Yield: 2 loaves or 2 dozen muffins
- 6 large eggs, at room temp
- 2 cups light brown sugar
- 2 cups canola oil
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups graham flour
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 4 cups grated zucchini
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups walnuts (optional), lightly toasted and chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Lightly butter two standard-size loaf pans or place paper liners in 24 cupcake/muffin tins.
- Place the eggs and sugar in the bowl of a mixer fitted with a paddle and beat until lemon-colored and thickened about 2 to 3 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients except for the nuts and beat well. Reserve about 1/4 cup of the nuts, if using. Stir in the remaining nuts, if using, by hand. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Pour into the prepared pans, or using a 2-ounce ice cream scoop or heaping tablespoon, fill the prepared tins. Sprinkle the reserved buts, if using, on top. Transfer to the oven and bake until a tester comes out clean, about 1 hour for the breads and 20 to 25 minutes fro the muffins, then transfer to a wire rack and set aside to cool.