Classic Chewy Brownies
From our Best Bake Sale cookbook, pg. 45
Yields two dozen brownies
- 2 sticks (1/2 pound) unsalted butter
- ¼ pound unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1 ¾ cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 ½ cups walnuts or pecans (optional), coarsely chopped
Preheat the oven to 325 F. Lightly butter a 9x 13-inch pan and line it with parchment paper, allowing enough overhand on the long side to lift the brownies from the pan.
Place the butter and chocolate in a small saucepan and cook, stirring, over the lowest possible heat until both are melted, 3 to 5 minutes. Set aside to cool.
Place the sugar, eggs and vanilla in a large mixing bowl and stir until just combined. Add the cooled chocolate mixture and stir until just combined. Pour into the prepared pan and sprinkle with the nuts, if desired.
Transfer to the oven and bake until your kitchen smells like chocolate and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Set aside to cool and cut into 24 bars.