Pine Nut Brittle
The perfect sweet and crunchy treat!
From the Best Bake Sale Cookbook, pg. 143
Yield: 16 pieces
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup Lyles Golden Syrup (you can substitute corn syrup)
- 1/4 cup (2 oz) unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 5 cups pine nuts, lightly toasted
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Lightly butter a metal offset spatula.
- Place the sugar, syrup, butter, water, and vanilla in a medium-size saucepan and cook over medium-high until it reaches a boil. Lower the heat to low and cook, stirring constantly, until the temperature reaches the soft-crack stage, about 275 F on the candy thermometer, 10-12 minutes.
- Quickly add the pine nuts and immediately pour the mixture onto the prepared sheets. Using the spatula, spread the brittle as thinly as possible. Relax; after 30 seconds there is no more influencing the mixture. Set aside to cool completely. Break into large pieces. Store in an airtight container.